The 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26, that was held in Glasgow in 2021, highlighted the need to mobilise public and private sector finance to support global net-zero emissions targets and to protect communities and habitats.
Sustainable Finance and Green Bonds present opportunities for lenders, investors, and borrowers. It allows borrowers to obtain funding at decreased and competitive costs. And as investor demands continue to rise, Government institutions have expressed keen interest in issuing green bonds to support ecologically beneficial initiatives.
Here are some recent global announcements.
- France announces the issuance of USD 4 billion green bond sale.
- Germany raises USD 4 billion in green bonds to finance green expenditures and investments.
- Singapore sets a roadmap for its first sovereign green bond with the Singapore Green Bond Framework.
- Austria launches its first green bond.
- The UK launches an inquiry into the role of the financial sector in the country’s net zero transition.