In the Ecosystm Predicts: The Top 5 Healthcare Trends in 2022 we have said that 2022 will be the year when we start seeing the second-order impacts of the pandemic and we will see healthcare providers address these impacts. This means an increase in tech adoption and a greater (and in some cases, renewed) interest in tech providers to focus on the Healthcare industry.
Last month, we saw announcements of Francisco Partners acquiring the healthcare data and analytics assets from the IBM Watson Health business unit. This was neither unexpected nor an isolated news – it follows a series of significant Healthcare tech news from last year.
Here are some announcements from 2021 that I feel give us an indication of where the Healthcare tech market is headed.
- Oracle’s acquisition of Cerner
- Microsoft’s continued focus on Healthcare with the Nuance acquisition
- The acquisition of athenahealth by private equity firms
- Examples of the focus on mental health such as the creation of Headspace Health
- The interest of consumer apps in Healthcare as witnessed by Peloton’s corporate wellness programme.
Read on to find out more about these announcements. And let me know what you think is the most interesting Healthcare tech announcement in the last year.
Download “Where is Healthcare Tech Headed?” slides as a PDF.